Friday, July 24, 2009

Alex Raymond's "Rip Kirby"

One of my favorite things to do is to browse through the original comic art, illustration art and vintage movie posters offered up by Heritage auctions.  Most of my cartoonists pals agree that it's a real treat to see the large art scans posted on the site.  If you're a student of cartoon art, it's the next best thing to actually seeing the originals.  Anyone wanting to learn pen (and brush) and ink techniques will have a field day just studying the Alex Raymond Rip Kirby strips that show up fairly regularly.  If my budget allowed, I'd be bidding on this lovely example below! 
Thankfully the wonderful folks at IDW will be publishing collected editions of this long-neglected strip starting in September.  This is a GREAT time to be a fan/collector of classic newspaper strips -- with gorgeous hardcover collections of  the great strips being offered by various publishers.  I just hope my bank account and bookshelves can keep up!

No comments: