Wednesday, August 26, 2009

More vintage comics

The vintage Sunday comics I posted leading up to the release of Big Funny proved so popular, that I'm going to post a few more.  Today we have Prince Valiant from June 17, 1945, and the Terry and the Pirates strip from the same day (printed on the reverse of the Val).  I especially like this Val.  Look at the compositions, the visual storytelling and the character acting on this page -- spectactular!  The second panel is one I've used in my MCAD comics classes to show how to make every element in a panel serve a purpose.

I'm also sharing a Skippy strip from 1930.  Percy Crosby was a fascinating character -- and if you love comics like I do, you'd really enjoy Jerry Robinson's book about Crosby and his art -- if you're lucky enough to track down a copy of this long-out-of-print volume....

This Skippy comes from a Sunday comic section that is literally falling apart.  I'm going to try to scan the rest of it, to preserve what I can from it -- it's sad to see the brittle paper crumbling as it ages.  The actually paper is far more yellowed than this Photoshopped scan would suggest -- and the creases in the paper are an unfortunate blemish that I couldn't remove.  Check back over the next couple weeks, as I'll post more strips as I get them scanned and cleaned up....

And feel free to leave a comment, folks.  I'd like to know what you think about the content of this blog, and what else you'd like to see here. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

recently found your blog--but have been coming back. skippy, terry, price valiant are great. love the Sundays in color--charlie