Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Cartoon Book -- WWI era cartoons


Here's something I've been working on for a while -- scanning a few pages at a time.  The Cartoon Book  is a government publication dating back to the World War I era -- promoting the sale of war bonds.  It's a flimsy little thing -- newsprint, with no outer cover.  My copy is starting to crumble around the edges and is getting mighty tan.  So to rescue the drawings inside, I've scanned the thing and cleaned up the images a bit.  There are some major cartoonists included -- and some I've never heard of -- 46 total.  I'll post the book in several parts, so as to make it manageable.



 The first cartoon in the book is by Gaar Williams.


 John H. Cassel





Rube Goldberg -- extra large so you can read it!




?


Stinson

Dan Smith - extra large 'cause it's so damn good!
 To be continued...!

No comments: